As you reach the third month, your chicks are continuing to grow, maturing weekly and becoming quite independent. They become sexually mature between 4 and 6 months of age and with proper care and excellent nutrition the first egg is laid soon!
- You should still be feeding Purina Start & Grow Sunfresh Recipe to your birds. A layer diet should not be fed until 18 weeks of age because of the high calcium levels which are inappropriate for younger birds. Be sure to gradually transition the birds from the starter feed to the layer feed over 7 to 10 days.
- Remember to always provide fresh water. Water is essential for healthy chickens, not to mention future egg production. As the weather gets warmer, they will drink more water so make sure they have access to a never-ending supply!
- Purina Scratch Grains Sunfresh Grains can be introduced to your flock after 12 weeks of age. This natural, all grain supplement should be fed along with a complete and balanced diet and should not make up more than 5-10 percent of the total daily intake.
- If you feed Purina Scratch Grains Sunfresh Grains, your birds should also have access to “grit.” Grit is made up of small insoluble granite particles, which assist in digestion of feed by helping to grind it up in the gizzard. Feed 1 pound per 100 birds, twice per week either mixed with other feed or free choice.
- Remember to provide your pullets with 17-18 hours of light per day starting at 16 weeks of age.